The key purpose of the business controller role is twofold (1) to provide business partner support to the managing director / leadership team of the business and (2) to provide timely, accurate and insightful financial information through to the divisional CFO / divisional finance team. The role is considered a commercial finance role. As well as being financially astute its essential that the Business Controller collaborates with multiple stakeholders: ranging from business leaders, through to auditors, through to O2C, P2P and R2R process owners. A successful Business Controller will build confidence and rapport with the all the stakeholders that need to be engaged with across the entire Informa Group.
- Preparation of monthly financial statements and distribution of accurate and reliable financial reports
- Lead on ensuring accuracy across financial forecasting
- Lead in the preparation of the forward-looking budget / business planning submissions
- Support with the day-to-day financial support to the business managers, such as, but not limited to, financial modelling and analysis, costs analysis, financial presentations (as and when required)
- Share best practices across the company, functions, and locations
- Contribution of financial information and statistics for group / external / statutory reporting purposes
- Ensure that Balance Sheet integrity and review is implicit to all period closes.
- Maintain a focus on cash management / optimisation. Including being an advocate of best practice working capital management.
- Participate in strategy meetings with management to understand the direction setting of the company.
- Participate in target setting and ensure that both short- and long-term strategic priorities are met
- Arrange and facilitate workshops with functional leaders to create action plans on how to succeed with the strategy
- Performance management of agreed-upon actions to ensure that each action can be measured on a concrete outcome be it growth, savings etc.
- Communicate performance throughout the organization to ensure one set of numbers rather than each function and management team making their own assumptions
- Review periodic commission and bonus submissions
- Prepare monthly KPI reports
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and accounting standards.
- Oversee tax planning and compliance with Group Tax / SSC.
BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in a commercially focussed role in a busy finance department
- Ability to deliver under pressure and as per strict deadlines
- Computer literacy and a very good knowledge of Microsoft Excel (knowledge of formatting, formulas, looks ups and Pivot tables are the minimum requirements)
- The role involves day to day interaction with commercial and finance management, therefore good communication skills and ability to communicate various levels are a big advantage
- Working knowledge of SAP and TM1 would be highly desirable but not essential