Aldar Academies is currently seeking a Social Studies Teacher at West Yas Academy on Yas Island, Abu Dhabi for an immediate start.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
West Yas Academy opened in September 2016 providing high quality education to the Emirate. The children are taught the Massachusetts Common Core Curriculum – tailored to be meaningful to children attending the school, alongside the local curriculum of Arabic, Islamic Studies and Social Studies. Facilities at the school are excellent and include a large astro-turf field, two swimming pools, well stocked library, a large multi-purpose sports hall, an auditorium and outdoor play areas.
We provide a warm, friendly and supportive environment where students enjoy learning and achieving in an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust.
In a short period of time the school has achieved outstanding levels of progress and attainment, supported by rigorous tracking of assessment data. We have highly dedicated and talented staff, mainly from the USA/UK, who work in partnership with parents to ensure success for all.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
The purpose of this post is to contribute to the Department as a team player through collaboration and the development of best pedagogical practices. Teachers at West Yas Academy are responsible to have overall responsibility for maximizing learning opportunities for all students within the Department; teachers will have a positive impact on the whole school development through the delivery of high-quality outcomes for all students.
General Responsibilities: All West Yas Academy Staff to:
- Assist academy in achieving its overall vision and strategic intentions and to contribute to the achievement of relevant targets as set out in the academy’s improvement plan and self-evaluation form
- Comply with regulations pertaining to health and safety at work legislation and adhere to academy policies relating to safe working practice and equal opportunities regulations
- Comply with the academy’s Performance Management Policy ensuring challenging annual targets are set and to fulfil the role of performance management reviewer if directed to do so by the Principal
- Engage in annual training linked to child protection, safeguarding and health and safety together with all training deemed appropriate for the purpose of academy improvement or performance management
- Comply with the academy’s staff dress code at all times including the wearing of photo ID / lanyard
- Comply with the academy’s computer Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) at all times
- Attend all staff briefings/Professional Development Activities
Areas of Responsibility and Key Tasks Planning, Preparation, Teaching and Lesson Management
- Teach allocated students by supporting their planning and teaching to achieve outstanding progression of learning through:
- Oversee the development and refreshing of curriculum unit planning within the faculty department
- Keep up to date, utilize, and apply Inquiry Based principles
- Create a climate that is conducive for outstanding Learning and Teaching by serving as a pedagogical coach and mentor of faculty in line with the school’s performance management framework
- Identifying clear learning objectives and specifying how they will be taught and assessed
- Setting tasks which challenge students and ensure high levels of interest
- Setting appropriate and demanding expectations
- Setting clear targets, building on prior attainment
- Identifying SEN or very able students
- Providing clear structures for lessons maintaining pace, motivation and challenge
- Making effective use of assessment and ensure coverage of programmes of study
- Making effective use of performance data and key indicators to inform planning and therefore deliver differentiated learning – matched to need
- Ensuring effective teaching and best use of available time
- Maintaining an effective learning environment in accordance with the academy’s procedures and encouraging good practice with regard to punctuality, behaviour, standards of work and homework
- Apply a variety of teaching methods to:
- match approach to content, structure information, present a set of key ideas and use appropriate vocabulary
- use effective questioning and listen carefully to students.
- select appropriate learning resources and develop study skills through library, I.C.T. and other learning technologies
- Ensuring students acquire and consolidate knowledge, skills and understanding appropriate to the subject taught
- Evaluating own and others teaching critically to improve effectiveness
- Ensuring the effective and efficient deployment of classroom support
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting
- Assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use them to improve specific aspects of teaching;
- Mark and monitor students’ work and set targets for progress
- Using performance data to inform planning and therefore ensuring the Learning and Teaching continue to ‘add value
- Assess and record students’ progress systematically and keep records to check work is understood and completed, monitor strengths and areas for development, inform planning and recognize the level at which the student is achieving
- Undertake assessment of students as requested by examination bodies, departmental and academy procedures
- Prepare and present informative reports to parents
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in the relevant subject and B.Ed or PGCE Education
- Teaching experience in US curriculum is essential, experience in an international school is an advantage
- Minimum of 2 years experience
- Strong experience teaching Common Core Curriculum.
Job specific knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of Inquiry Based Curriculum and Common Core curriculum and latest developments.
- Knowledge of UAE Ministry of Education and ADEK regulations relating to curriculum, assessment and compliance would be advantageous.
Personal/ Leadership Qualities:
- Commitment to the ideals of international education.
- Ability to prioritize projects and tasks,
- Ability to initiate and manage change in the work environment.
- Ability to identify problems, achieve effective solutions, resolve conflict, motivate staff and foster collaboration, and promote sound decision making.
- Flexibility, patience and egalitarian approach.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.